I’m always looking for quick and easy meals. However, I was surprised at the simplicity of this meal when I ran across it on the Cooking Light website. It is a recipe for Refried Bean Poblanos with Cheese. Seriously, it has 5 ingredients (OK, 6 if you decide you want cilantro), cooks in a microwave, and was ready in about 15 minutes. They suggest serving it with a Creamy Chipotle Wedge Salad which has 4 ingredients and can be made while the Poblanos are cooking.
One of the other things I like about the Poblano recipe is that it is vegetarian, but you can make so many modifications with it. Honestly, John and I kept saying, “Hey, you could . . . ” and suggesting variations for it. Here are a few we thought of:
– Using different salsas. For example, using a smoky one would change the flavor of the filling.
– We used refried black beans instead of pinto.
– You could cook and add some ground turkey or beef.
– Change the type of cheese.
– I used fresh peppers, but they have different dried peppers in the store. Each would give it a different flavor.
This recipe is also fabulous for Meatless Mondays!
I hope you try and enjoy this recipe. If you have favorite recipes you’d be willing to share, I’d enjoy receiving them.